NOTE! The links mainly send you to the trope central, All The Tropes.
Also there do exist strictly subjective tropes,
which are not featured here nor allowed on this wiki
|#' #A · #B · #C · #D · #E · #F · #G · #H · #I · #J · #L · #M · #N · #O · #P · #R · #S · #T · #U · #W · #Y · #Z|
- Battle Couple
- Badasses who fight together, stay together
- Because Destiny Says So
- Choosing to believe something 'fated' is the inevitable truth
- Beleaguered Childhood Friend
- You help out an old friend who turns out to be guilty/not who they were
- Belligerent Sexual Tension
- They fight so much a possible romance is kept at bay
- Better as Friends
- [ something romantic ], didn't work out, end of story forever.
- Big Bad Friend
- Your good friend turns out to be the Big Bad, but doesn't want to harm you
- Birds of a Feather
- Similar people in a relationship
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Can't tell you how I really feel
- Childhood Friend Romance
- We grew up together, but then we get older and we fall in love.
- Childhood Marriage Promise
- We're kids and they ask me to marry them and I promise that I will when we grow up
- Dating Catwoman
- A character is in a relationship with an antagonist/former antagonist
- Declaration of Protection
- When the hero's first priority at all times is the protection of 1 person
- Derailing Love Interests
- When a character suddenly becomes OOC in order for writers to break up their (potential) relationship, so the character's SO can be paired with someone else
- Enemies To Lovers
- "Started from the bottom now we here"
- Enemy Mine
- "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"
- Fake-Out Make-Out
- "They're coming this way, quick, kiss me so they won't suspect anything!"
- Fire-Forged Friends
- We didn't like/know each other, then we went through hell and now we're close
- First Girl Wins
- The first love interest introduced in the work is the character's endgame
- Foe Romance Subtext
- In the work enemies have discussions/moments written as romantic ones would be, even though there is nothing romantic about the relationship in question
- Fourth Date Marriage
- We only just met — let's get married!
- Go Through Me
- "If you want them, you have to go through me/us"
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Both James and Harry Potter, with Lily Evans and Ginny Weasley, respectively
- Heterosexual Life Partners
- We're not in love, but we put each other before anyone/anything else. Eg. Stucky
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship
- Either they're not interested or they're scared of losing the person altogether if they should break up
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Because I can't be with them, I send them into someone else's arms
- Interrupted Declaration of Love
- I was just about to tell you how I feel and then a meteor hits earth!
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies
- We can't be together because they would kill you, but you may not even know my secret identity
- Just Friends
- "Oh, no we're just friends"
- Last Girl Wins
- The character's endgame is the last love interest introduced
- Last-Minute Hookup
- They finally got together! And then the story ended
- Like an Old Married Couple
- The Bickersons, who aren't in a relationship... yet
- Living with the Villain
- Or the villain's a colleague, classmate etc. — in close proximity, but you don't know their true identity
- Love Across Battlelines
- We are from opposite sides, but together, and have to deal with the outside world possibly not approving
- Love Cannot Overcome
- Something supernatural in your life is too much for your love
- Love Redeems
- Villain falls in love and turns good
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl
- Someone comes into a character's life and lights it up with sparkly colours the character has never seen before!, but this new person lacks any substantial characterization
- Married to the Job
- Which leads to friction and sometimes break-ups/divorce
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life
- The hero has to leave their dates/show up later or never, and can never provide a proper explanation because of their secret identity.
- New Old Flame
- Romance, where a new character shows up and is the hero's long lost love/old flame
- Now or Never Kiss
- We might die, so we share our first kiss
- Not So Different
- "We're not so different after all, you and I"
- Odd Friendship
- Harold & Maude
- Official Couple
- When a relationship is made canon in the work.
- One True Love
- Works where it is expressly and continually stated that this is a character/characters' true love who is perfect for them and exactly what they were looking for etc. Think Ted & Tracy (HIMYM).
- Our Love Is Different
- "They may have been a player, but what we have is different"
- Outlaw Couple
- Criminals in love
- Pair the Spares
- Two characters respectively pursued two people who are now a couple. So, the two characters who didn't win their heart's desire, get together instead
- Reckless Sidekick
- The hero takes on a protégé/mentee, and gets exasperated when the sidekick doesn't exactly follow orders/wrecks missions.
- Reformed but Rejected
- "How do I know you're not still evil?!"
- Romantic False Lead
- A relationship which ends up being "just" an obstacle for the "official couple" to happen
- Ruling Couple
- Rulers in a relationship (royalty etc.)
- Screw Destiny
- Despite a foretelling, a character makes a free will choice
- Second Love
- A character gets over a death/break-up with their first love and finds love again
- Secret Relationship
- ♫ Nobody knows it ♫
- A Shared Suffering
- When nobody can understand what you went/are going through, this person can
- She Is Not My Girlfriend
- ...but everyone thinks so
- Third Option Love Interest
- Resolution to a love triangle: a character begins a relationship with a third person
- True Companions
- More than friendship, they are like family
- True Love Is Exceptional
- People look for and date a certain 'type'/'ideal' and then end up with someone who's very different from that, which they didn't expect
- Understanding Boyfriend
- In spite of the gendered name, all significant others who accept and support their love's otherworldly nature/powers and superhero responsibilities
- Unholy Matrimony
- Villains who are a team and in love
- You Are Worth Hell
- Can't save you, so am joining your fate
- You Can't Fight Fate
- Something prophesied comes true
- Young Love Versus Old Hate
- Their older relatives feud, while they love/find a peaceful solution/advocate for peace
- Zip Me Up
- Ooh lala