Mikan Tsumiki is a character in the Danganronpa series.
Mikan Tsumiki is one of the characters featured in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and a participant in the Killing School Trip.
Mikan has the title of Ultimate Nurse.
In Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School, Mikan is a student of Class 77-B enrolled in Hope's Peak Academy with the other Remnants of Despair. Among the members of the Remnants of Despair, excluding Izuru Kamukura, she is the first to fall into despair after being brainwashed by Junko Enoshima and becoming a part of Ultimate Despair.
Following the fall of Hope's Peak and the beginning of The Tragedy, Mikan joined the rest of Ultimate Despair in spreading chaos across the ruined world. She was eventually apprehended by the Future Foundation and put into the Neo World Program for rehabilitation.
After catching Despair Disease in Chapter 3 and regaining her school memories in Danganronpa 2, Mikan set up a plan to murder Ibuki Mioda, who also contracted Despair Disease, but ended up murdering both Ibuki and Hiyoko Saionji after the latter witnessed her attempt to murder Ibuki. After she confessed that she had murdered for the sake of “her beloved”, Monokuma dragged her to her execution. However, due to this happening in the Neo World Program, her physical body remained in a comatose state following the end of the simulation.
The illusory Mikan appeared in the 30-minutes long OVA titled Super Danganronpa 2.5: Nagito Komaeda and the Destroyer of the World as a part of Nagito Komaeda's world.
Mikan later awakens from her coma and together with her classmates helps the Future Foundation in stopping Ryota Mitarai from brainwashing the world with his Hope Video. With the other awakened Remnants of Despair, Mikan decides to atone for her sins as the former member of Ultimate Despair.
- Hinamiki - the ship between Hajime Hinata and Mikan
- Komamiki - the ship between Nagito Komaeda and Mikan
- Band Aid - the ship between Ibuki Mioda and Mikan
- Junkan - the ship between Junko Enoshima and Mikan
- Nanamiki - the ship between Chiaki Nanami and Mikan
- Pekomiki - the ship between Mikan and Peko Pekoyama
- Tsumionji - the ship between Mikan and Hiyoko Saionji
- Her first name means “mandarin”, as in the type of orange, while her last name means "sin tree".
- Her last name could reference how she killed out of the despair Junko had planted inside her.
- It is also somewhat possible that her last name is meant to reflect her similarity to the biblical Eve, who has committed a sin (the "original") related to a tree (the Tree of Knowledge) due to an innate "human" desire to try and do what is forbidden. Similarly, Mikan has committed double murder due to a desire - her presumably romantic attraction to Junko and wish to please her. She is also similar to Eve through the concept of "not being forgiven" for her actions.
- While her title in the official English translation is “Ultimate Nurse”, Mikan's original title is “Ultimate Health Committee Member”. The “health committee” or “health and hygiene committee” (since 保健 hoken means both “health preservation” and “hygiene”), is a common student committee in Japanese high schools with the duty of preparing and administering first aid during school events, monitoring the school's state of sanitation and promoting health-preserving behavior.
- One of Mikan's Free-Time Events implies that she is qualified to administer vaccines (like a nurse and unlike a health committee member) - meaning that her circumstances as a health committee member are special.
- Mikan's Birthday (May 12) coincides with International Nurses' Day.
- It is revealed in the concept art that Mikan's hair was cut in chunks by bullies.
- Mikan makes a cameo appearance in Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls on a poster in the hospital in Chapter 1.
- Mikan's death poster in the trial room is crossed out with a nurse's cross, in reference to her Ultimate talent.
- Her 'Girl A' counterpart in the Twilight Syndrome Murder Case is the first playable female character in the series.
- In Island Mode, she mentions that she enjoys horror movies because of all the blood and helpless people.
- There is a strong possibility that Mikan suffers from dependent personality disorder, as she fits nearly all of the symptoms.
- However, there is a chance Mikan also has social anxiety disorder, because of stuttering in speech, nervousness in social interaction, fear of bothering, boring, or offending others, and she is easily upset.
- Mikan is implied to have attraction to people of the same gender.
- She developed feelings for Hajime, because he was very kind to her.
- She thought of Junko as her "beloved", believing that Junko loved her back and mistaking her abusive behavior for affection. Her obsession with Junko appears to be mostly a result of brainwashing, but nevertheless her feelings for her are portrayed in a romantic and sexual manner.
- In Danganronpa 3, while under the effect of aphrodisiacs, she got very physically close with Peko and even began pushing her leg between Peko's legs.
- Mikan is included in the collaboration of Danganronpa 3 x Hōkai Gakuen.