Kyouko Kirigiri is a character in the Danganronpa series.
Kyouko Kirigiri is one of the characters featured in Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and a participant in the Killing School Life and the Final Killing Game.
Kyouko was an amnesiac and was titled as Ultimate ??? at first. Later, it was revealed that her true identity is the Ultimate Detective. She is also the daughter of the late Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy, Jin Kirigiri.
In Chapter 5, the mastermind attempts to have her executed for the murder of Mukuro Ikusaba, a crime she didn't commit, due to her interference in the mastermind's plans. However, Makoto Naegi sees through this but is almost executed himself, which was stopped due to the interference of Alter Ego. If the player chooses to call out her lie, Kyouko will be executed in the bad ending.
Kyouko survives the final trial and escapes Hope's Peak Academy with the other survivors.
Kyouko also appears in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair as a member of the Future Foundation, along with Makoto and Byakuya Togami.
She is also seen in Danganronpa/Zero. A light novel series based on Kyouko's past with Yui Samidare has been published, titled Danganronpa Kirigiri. Kyouko also returns in the spin-off manga of Danganronpa 3, Danganronpa Gaiden: Killer Killer. A sound novel titled Kirigiri Sou tells the story of Kyouko in her bizarre adventure of investigating a deserted western-style mansion.
Kyouko returned in Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School and is the leader of the 14th Division.
Kyouko was poisoned after her NG code was unintentionally triggered by Makoto. However, it was revealed that Kyouko had taken some of Seiko Kimura's medicine, allowing her to resist the poison by falling into a comatose state and later being revived by Mikan Tsumiki, being one of the five survivors of the Final Killing Game.
At the end of Danganronpa 3, Kyouko and the Future Foundation rebuild the Hope's Peak Academy, with her assisting Makoto, the new headmaster of the academy.
- Celesgiri - A femslash ship between Kyouko Kirigiri and Celestia Ludenberg.
- Kirihina - A femslash ship between Kyouko Kirigiri and Aoi Asahina.
- Kirizono - A femslash ship between Kyouko Kirigiri and Sayaka Maizono.
- Naegamigiri - A ship between Byakuya Togami, Makoto Naegi and Kyouko Kirigiri.
- Naegiri - A het ship between Makoto Naegi and Kyouko Kirigiri.
- Naegirizono - A ship between Makoto Naegi, Kyouko Kirigiri and Sayaka Maizono.
- Naekugiri - A ship between Makoto Naegi, Mukuro Ikusaba, and Kyouko Kirigiri.
- Togiri - A het ship between Byakuya Togami and Kyouko Kirigiri.
- The name "Kyouko" is composed of 響 - "echo" or "ringing" and 子 - meaning "child". Her name fits her composed, quiet speech and how, during the trials, she more than once guides Makoto to conclusions she has already reached herself and lets him be the one to voice them.
- "Kirigiri" in kanji means "fog cutter", referring to her detective background.
- In the beta version of Danganronpa, Kyouko was named Gyaru Kirigiri and was the first victim.
- The very first trailer for Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (the original release), which begins teasingly by saying that the upcoming installment of the Danganronpa series is a sports game, shows Kyouko playing basketball. The reason Kyouko was assigned this particular sport is probably because her Japanese voice actress, Yōko Hikasa, is known for her role in the basketball-themed series Ro-Kyu-Bu! as Saki Nagatsuka. Hikasa is also part of a five-girl pop group of the same name along with four of her fellow voice actress who also portray part of the series' main cast.
- Kyouko is included in the collaboration of Danganronpa 3 and Guns Girl Z.
- Kyouko shares her title, the Ultimate Detective, with Shuichi Saihara.
- She is one of the few characters to have participated in two killing games and survived. The others are Makoto, Aoi, and Hajime (Izuru).
- Kyouko's English voice actress, Erika Harlacher, also voices Kaede Akamatsu in Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony.