Izuru Kamukura, also known as Izuru 1.0, is one of the two main antagonists of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, and a major character in the Danganronpa series. He is an alternate identity of Hajime Hinata.
Izuru was the end product of Izuru Kamukura Project, and as a "genius out of the ordinary" and Hope's Peak Academy's ultimate goal, went by the title of Ultimate Hope. He is named after Hope's Peak Academy's founder.
In Danganronpa 2, he is mentioned to be the culprit behind The Tragedy of Hope's Peak Academy as well as a Remnant of Despair, who aided AI Junko Enoshima by putting her into the Neo World Program. However, during Chapter 0, it's implied that he considers her an enemy and has his own motives. By the end of the story, he awakens into the real world and chooses to live as Hajime Hinata.
Izuru is also briefly shown in the epilogue of Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, preparing his plan for the second game.
Izuru returns in the prequel Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School. It is shown that he seemingly joined Ultimate Despair, after being persuaded by Junko that it would end his boredom. In the end, his true motive which was vaguely mentioned in Danganronpa 2 is revealed to be his desire to see whether hope or despair was more unpredictable, following Chiaki Nanami's death. It is also revealed that he wasn't the culprit behind the school's Tragedy and was simply blamed by Junko, a fact which was implied in Danganronpa/Zero.
In Side: Future, it's revealed that his and Hajime's personalities have merged. As shown in the ending of Danganronpa 2, he has chosen to live as Hajime, but he still has all of Izuru's talents and other people sometimes seem to mistake him for Izuru. With his talent, he cured the comatose students from the brainwashed effect and brought them alive from the Neo World Program, setting off to the Future Foundation off-shore faculty to stop Ryota Mitarai from using his hope brainwashing video.
At the end of Danganronpa 3, he returns to Jabberwock Island and lives in peace with his classmates.
- Junkozuru - A het ship between Izuru Kamukura and Junko Enoshima.
- Kamukoma - A slash ship between Izuru Kamukura and Nagito Komaeda.
- His first and last names are written in katakana, but the original Izuru Kamukura's names are written in kanji.
- "Izuru", which literally means "out of the current", could also mean "to go out into exile". Both of these meanings could reflect how Izuru Kamukura was a unique existence which felt very secluded due to having no peers.
- "Kamukura" means "a place in which a god resides" or "a seat for gods". This could reflect how Izuru was created to be a host for superhuman talent.
- In Danganronpa 3, Izuru is described as deus ex machina ("god from the machine") and Kodaka has called him a "god-mode character" and a "god-like entity".
- During the Killing School Trip, AI Junko told the students about Izuru and that speech is the main source of information on him. During this, however, she made several large contradictions when discussing Izuru. It seems likely that Junko did this to manipulate the students. This means that much of the information on him has very questionable accuracy.
- Technically, being the same person as Hajime Hinata, Izuru is the first character in the Danganronpa series that has participated in two Mutual Killing Games and survived.
- Fitting his apathetic personality, he has no known likes or dislikes.
- In Side: Future #03, Izuru is seen in an abandoned building, next to a table with a vase with flowers. Considering one of the flower is different from the other, it is implied that he was mourning Chiaki before Makoto arrived and takes him to custody.
- In the Japanese language, Izuru talks and expresses in a more polite way, unlike his alternate identity. For example, instead of referring to himself with the word 俺 (ore) like Hajime does, he uses the word 僕 (boku), which is a more polite, juvenile way for one to refer to themselves. Similarly, he uses the word 貴方 (anata) when talking to others; in contrast, Hajime uses お前 (omae) in the same context.
- Izuru is the only Remnant of Despair who was not brainwashed and accepted to help Junko of his own free will.
- Izuru's voice double for the English dub of Side: Despair, Micah Solusod, is married to Natsumi Kuzuryuu's English voice actress Apphia Yu.